//]]>

Saturday, February 15, 2014

A Kentucky Classic, Derby Pie

To be completely honest, I can not say I grew up eating derby pie all the time or even ever year to celebrate the Kentucky Derby.  I wanna say one of the first times I really had it was actually when I made this recipe which I found  on My Cooking Spot.  I made this for some friend who came over to a doggie play date and I'm glad I did because it was awesome.


My only notes I would add to the original recipe is it did not mention some specifics like what kind of butter or chocolate chips to use so I made sure to mention what I used in this version.  One thing I think made this recipe particularly awesome was the fact that I did not use a frozen crust, I got one that was refrigerated. I think those ones are a little better since they don't get freezer burn.  Of course if you have an awesome homemade crust recipe then go for it, but a store bought one will not ruin this pie.  Another factor was the fact that I used real pure vanilla, and mine was actually from Mexico (I got it when we were there for our honeymoon).  It gave the pie just that extra hint of awesome.  Also make sure to do is have chopped pecans, bit halves, even if you kind of crush them yourself.  If there are big chunks of pecans in the pie it makes it super hard to cut into nice looking slices.  But enough talk, here is the thing you came here for.  


Derby Pie

Total time: 2 hours 20 mins

1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup sugar 
2 eggs 
1 tsp pure vanilla 
1/2 tsp salt 
1/2 cup whole wheat flour 
1 cup pecans, chopped 
1 cup milk chocolate chips 
1 refrigerated pie crust

Preheat over to 325 degrees.  Press pie crust into a 9 inch pie pan, trimming any excess crust and crimping the edges.  Mix butter and sugar then add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Add salt and flour, and mix well. Fold in pecans and chips. Pour mixture into pie crust and bake for 1 hour. Let cool for 1 hour before slicing. Serves 6-8.

No comments:

Post a Comment