//]]>

Friday, September 19, 2014

Mom's Meatloaf

What says home more than meat loaf just like mom use to make?  Not many things can compare.  If you had to ask my what meal says US more than anything, it would be my mom's meatloaf, with my neenaws green beans and mashed potatoes.  Spoiler alert, this recipe does use Accent, which is msg, as you might know. If you are one of those people who is convinced msg is the devil itself, feel free to sub for regular salt.  I have done my own research and personally I don't think msg is as bad as they like to say, but I won't get on that soap box.  I have used it in small doses and I don't notice anything weird side effects.  Anywho, enjoy moms recipe, unaltered by my creative whims :)




Mom's Meatloaf
From the Kitchen of: Lisa Murphy
Makes: 6-8 servings    Start to finish: 1 hour 15 minutes

2 lbs ground beef (93/7)
1 1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 tsp accent (a.k.a. msg *gasp*)
1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 eggs
3/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup warm water
1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
2 slices bacon
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

Pre heat oven to 350 degree. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl, with your hands is easiest.  Place in a loaf pan and cover with bacon strips and tomato sauce.  Bake for 1 hour. If you like your meat loaf to be less juicy use a meatloaf pan that allows juices to go to the bottom of the pan.

Freezer meal option:  If you don't want to make a whole loaf, you can also place half of the meat in the pan and top with 1 slice bacon cut in half and half a can of tomato sauce. Then form the rest into another loaf and wrap in plastic wrap and then foil.  When you are ready to eat it, take it out and thaw in the fridge over night. Place in a baking pan and then top with bacon and 4 oz tomato sauce. Bake as directed above.

No comments:

Post a Comment