//]]>

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Let's Get This Started.

Ok, blog time.  And this time let's see if I can not only get one started, but also keep it going.  My last attempt kinda went nowhere.  So Ladies and Gentalmen, let me introduce you to....

The Working Housewife
Travel, cooking, home and wedding advice and experiences froma woman who works just as hard at home as she does at the office. 

Intro...

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck between two worlds.  On one hand I want to be a hardworking, do whatever it takes professional and have huge dreams and goals for my career and get paid the big bucks to do it.  I want to be that person people always rely on and without me all hell breaks loose because what I do and how I do it is just too importante for them to go on without me.  Mind you this has never been the case with any job I have had, but it's a dream of mine.  basically I just want to feel like I'm an essetial person at my work place, someone who is not easily replaced.

On the other hand...

I love my home life and want to be able to spend time turning the new house my fiance, Matt, and I just bought into a home and take care of everything myself.  I would love to be just like Bree from Desperate Housewives, but without the gourmet cooking maybe. I prefer yummy traditional comfort food to cuisine all the time.  I want nothing more than to spend all day everyday at home, planting flowers and gardens, decorating rooms, cooking homemade meals, and attempting the far too numerous DIY projects I have pinned on Pinterest.  I want to plan my wedding for Sept 2013 and make everything myself and find all the perfect vendors and items I want to make it a beautiful event. 

But then there is real life...

Sadly I am stuck between two worlds.  I can't be a homemaker, mostly due to this undying need to pay off student loans. And I can't be a man eating business women because Matt might starve if he needed to cook for himself all the time.  That or eat waaay too many Hot pockets, just like in grad school.  For now I'll do my best to balance both lives.  Really I think I do a better job at being a homemaker than being a professional just because I can't seem to find a job that will let me be a professional.  All the places I want to work seem to have this thing about their emplyees having "experience", whatever that means. 

But you wanna know a secret? 

If I had to choose, I think I would prefer housewife to fulltime pro (don't tell my parents, they would hate to think they wasted all that money on my education).  I just think I have a natural nack for organizing things, cooking great food, taking care of people, and someday will be great at taking care of kids.  Plus even if I were "unemployed"  it doesn't mean I would do some part time work or volunteering.  I love tutoring in French since that's what one of my degrees is in.  I also would love to do more things like host people on Couch Surfer and Airbnb.  Airbnb is even a way to make some extra money and with both I would get to meet super cool people from all over the place.  I also love working at animal shelters and would love to be a foster parent for animals, which requires a lot of time. 

So don't knock it till you try it. 

So while I'm not solely a homemaker by any means right now, I did do it for a whole summer when Matt and I first moved to Kansas City for his job in the summer of 2012 and I had trouble finding work. A lot of people hear the word homemaker and it makes them cringe thinking of the days back when wives were only meant to stay in the kitchen and take care of kids, relying on their man for everything.  Feminist get in an up roar when a woman says they want to be a stay at home mom, or just take care of their family, saying people like you are what makes men not respect women.  They say staying at home is demeaning and pointless; we should be doing something more meaningful with our time.  Many people think being a housewife is just an excuse to be lazy and sleep till noon and then spend the day shopping and getting mani pedis.  But I'm not any of these things. To me being a housewife means caring for others above yourself, working like crazy to make their lives better simply because you love them. And my personal favorite part...It means making lots of awesome food : )

So now that I'm off my soapbox, please enjoy my blog.  I hope you find my experences interesting and possibly entertaiing, my recipes delicous, and my projects fun inventive.   Happy blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment