//]]>

Friday, September 12, 2014

Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya

My mom always made this jambalaya when I was younger when she wanted a quick weekday meal.  Her version really only used cayenne pepper in the recipe, so I jazzed it up a bit and got a recipe for creole seasoning from Emeril. I also find it works best to wash the rice before to keep things from getting too goopy.  Andouille sausage is the traditional one to use, but for the longest time I always used smoked sausage like Kielbasa, as did my mom. It wasn't until I found a local place in Kansas City called Fritz' (103rd and Stateline) that makes their own sausage that I started using the real deal.



Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
From the Kitchen of: Mary Holfelner/Lisa Murphy
Makes: 8 servings    Start to finish: 45 minutes

1 lb chicken breast, cubed
1 lb andouille sausage (can sub with smoked kielbasa), sliced
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalk celery, chopped
2 tsp each paprika, seasoned salt, garlic powder
1 tsp each onion powder, cayenne pepper, chili pepper
1/4 tsp fresh black pepper
pinch oregano
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups uncooked rice, washed and soaked for 30 mins

Saute chicken and sausage in olive oil until chicken is cooked, then add onion, green pepper, and celery and cook until tender.  Add all spices and cook a couple minutes.  Add broth and rice and cook for 20 mins or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.

No comments:

Post a Comment