//]]>

Monday, September 9, 2013

Wine Weekend

September 9, 2013

Well, I just tried something new and awesome this past Saturday.  Matt and I just spent our Saturday morning picking wine grapes.  We went to this cute little winery in Platte County, Missouri called Jowler Creek and helped them pick their Vignoles grapes, which they will use to make one of their sweet white wines next year. 

Why on earth might I want to spend my morning picking grapes I can't even eat.  Well for one I don't like grapes that much, so that part didn't bother me.  And second, we did get lunch, a tasting of all their, wines and a little tasting glass to take home for our troubles. This has got to be the best idea I have ever heard of.  They get free labor, we get free food and wine, it's a win win. 

Another cool thing about this place is they are a green vineyard and don't use pesticides on their grapes.  All they do is let some chickens run loose and they keep the bugs under control.  Honestly that has to be a heck of a lot cheaper than using chemicals too, and you get eggs!

They have these events every year, usually twice with about 75 people who attended our event, and then another event where you get to like Lucy and stomp grapes with your feet...don't worry, I was informed that they do not use the stomped grapes in their wines, though I'm not sure why not since the alcohol probably takes care of most of the germs.  They also have tons of other fun events throughout the year, so check out their website and see what cool stuff is coming up! 





These grapes sure do like to hide



No comments:

Post a Comment