//]]>

Friday, May 2, 2014

Chicken Tikka Masala

I have to say that this recipe, in my personal opinion, rivals even Chicken Tikka from a real Indian home.  I first got into Indian food after my friend Sidd made Chili Chicken for me and my husband (at the time boyfriend) and taught me how to make Chicekn Biyriani back when I lived in Bloomington, IN.  I love the flavors of all the aromatic spices.  I would have never thought cinnamon or cloves belonged in a savory dish, but they are awesome in curry.  Now I have a few Indian dishes under my belt and this is one of my favorites.



I got this recipe first from, where else, Pinterest.  But I found the original recipe lacked a lot of the intense flavor Indian food has.  It started off having maybe only 1 Tablespoon of spices total in it, and by the time I was done with it it has closer to double that.  I always serve this dish with my aromatic rice and naan bread.

Chicken Tikka Masala


Marinade

1 cup plain yogurt
3 Tbl ginger garlic past, recipe follows
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 pound boneless skinless chicken (thighs or breast)

Sauce

2 tsp olive oil
3 Tbl butter
1/3 cup ginger garlic paste
2 serrano peppers, seed removed and chopped (leave in seeds if you like a lot of spice)
1 Tbl garham masala
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chat masala
1/4 tsp each ground coriander, ground cardamon, and crushed red pepper
8 roma tomatoes, pureed
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup water
1/2 cup heavy cream
Fresh cilantro for garnish

ginger garlic paste

4 oz (by weight) garlic
4 oz ginger
2 oz canola or veggie oil

For the marinade: In a large bowl, mix together the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Marinate at least 30 minutes, or in the refrigerator up to overnight.

For the sauce: When you're ready to make the curry, place a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and butter. When the butter has melted, add the Ginger-Garlic Paste and serrano peppers. Saute until lightly browned around the edges. Add the tomato paste and cook until the tomato has darkened in color, about 3 minutes. Add the spices and saute for about 1 minute to draw out their flavors.

Add the tomatoes, salt, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes. You may need more water depending on how much liquid the tomatoes give off.

Meanwhile, fire up your grill. When it is nice and hot, lightly brush it with oil. Place the chicken on the grill, shaking off some of the excess marinade. Cook until it's charred, about 2 minutes on each side. (Don't worry that the chicken will still be a little uncooked, it finishes cooking in the sauce).

 Add the chicken and cilantro, if using. Take the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the cream and stir through. Garnish with minced fresh cilantro, and serve over rice, with naan, or a crusty piece of bread!

Ginger-Garlic PasteThrow the garlic, ginger, and canola oil in a mini-food processor and let it go until it forms a semi-smooth paste. There will still be tiny little pieces in there, but overall, it should resemble a paste.

Save what you don't use in a small glass jar. It should last in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks. It's a delicious addition to marinades, pasta sauces, stir fry sauces, slow-cooker recipes, gravy etc. We always had a jar of this stuff in our fridge growing up

No comments:

Post a Comment