//]]>

Friday, May 9, 2014

Tomato Celery Soup

This recipe comes from my mom who got the recipe from the cooks at the Shaker Village of Pleasant Hill in Kentucky.  We use to go there on occasion growing up and eat at the restaurant they ran there.  I still remember as a kid being fascinated by the little decorative balls of butter they served with the fresh rolls. She loved this recipes so much she had to get it from them and they were nice enough to share.  It's super easy since you use a can of Campbell's soup, but since you add a few things extra it just really gives the soup a nice zing.  I made this a lot during college for my friend as I as well and everyone raved about it.


I always make these with grilled cheese and serve it with saltines. I personally don't like my tomato soup to be chunky so I use a stick blender right before serving to smooth it out. But if you like chucks you can skip this part.  And while the original recipe doesn't call for it you can always add a bit of heavy cream to add some depth to the dish and even out the tang.

Tomato Celery Soup
From the Kitchen of: Lisa Murphy
Makes: 2-3 servings    Start to finish: about 20 minutes

1 small onion, chopped
            ½ cup celery, chopped
            1 Tbl butter
            1 can condensed tomato soup
            1 can water
            1 Tbl lemon juice
            1 tsp sugar
            1 tsp dried parsley
            ½ tsp salt
            ¼ tsp pepper
            Extra minced parsley

Sauté onion and celery in butter, but do not brown.  Add rest of ingredients, then bring to a boil.  Lower to a simmer for 5 minutes.  Garnish with cream and extra parsley.  Serve with grilled cheese and saltines.  

No comments:

Post a Comment