//]]>

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Battle Against the Deer: trying an in-ground garden.



Our raised bed garden has done much better this year in terms of producing crops.  But I have gotten to the point where I am tired of the cramped space.  Raised bed may be more “efficient” to some people but I grew up with the traditional long row of single crops type garden my whole life and we did just fine. So I have taken it upon myself to give it a try, regardless of the fact that we have crazy amounts of deer in the area.  I’m hopeful though because a) it has been a wet spring so hopefully the deer are happy and have food in the woods, and b) I have a game plan. 

My neighbors Mark and Linda, are convinced that we have super deer that are impervious to all tricks we throw at them.  But since I’m young and (as my grandma would say) full of piss and vinegar I am determined to not be out smarted by them. I have been researching ways to repel deer so here is the plan:


  1. Place garden fairly close to the house
  2. Build an admittedly short, but hopefully effective fence around the garden made of garden stakes and fishing line.  My theory is that the deer will touch the line, but since they can’t see it is will freak them out and make them go elsewhere. 
  3. Use spray and pod deer repellant, and possible some squirrel stuff too since they can be annoying. 
  4. Put something that moves and is shiny like a windmill in or around the garden to deter pests.


I also had a crazy idea for this fall.  I know for a fact the deer never touch my daffodils since they are poisonous to them, so the idea of planting lots of buttercups around the garden has occurred to me.  Sadly they don’t last throughout the summer, so I don’t know why effective it could be.  But they are pretty so it couldn’t hurt. 

So this is the plan.  I’m hoping and praying it works so I can finally enjoy a real garden.  Even though it is June it is not too late plant some things like corn, green beans, carrots, and squash. I have a spot mapped out in my head and will post updates as things progress so stay posted

If you have any tips about how to keep deer away from your garden and plants you would like to share, post in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment